Sunday, February 22, 2009

Being there

 I had to learn a hard lesson this wkend, I had to stay home due to sickness, from my niece's last home basketball game. She plays college ball for a Christian school in Pulaski, TN. I have not missed a home game all year. I have also been very fortunate to be able to travel to most of her games that were away that was within our driving range. I enjoy watching my beloved niece play her most favorite sport, I love being able to support her and her mates. I love being with my other family members that are there along side of me as well. It's a pretty intense time, there is lot's of yelling, on my part, some bad, some good, and lot's of watching the game from the edge of my seat.
 Granted this is not your divison 1 A basketball, like the Lady Vols, but still, it's basketball and these ladies play hard. 
 Anyway, yesterday, much like today, I am being held prisoner in my home due to a serious sinus infection. And it is against my will. I would have much rather been at the game yesterday than sitting here at home, however, I was able to listen to the game and feel somewhat connected to it via my little, home technology computer. I am happy that I could at least listen to it. T, my niece, short for Sweet T, is a very hard ball player. When she is out there on the court, she is out there for the win, and she will put in her 120 % to do it. I am proud of the fact that whatever she does, she gives it her best. Yet, when the minutes are up, the buzzer has sounded, and the score is down on their side, as it was yesterday, she tends to get upset. She gets upset and sometimes she cries. I hate to see her cry, but losing does do her good sometimes.  My lesson was, that even though I couldn't be there, I know I was missed, and yet just being able to listen to the game, I could tell my T, played her heart and soul out. GO T and the Lady Redhawks. They have two games this week, both away, and the season is over.  She has one more year to play college ball, one more year to endure hard practice sessions, one more year to put up with nasty players who do not play fair, one more year to endure unfair calls from the ref's, but the amazing thing is she is ready to give up her time, and do it. She may even have to give up part of her dream of being a nurse because she has her tuition paid for by her scholarship from ball. She is determined not to let it stop her from reaching her dreams.  I am so impressed that she won't give up. It pushes me to not give up either. I hope that I am that strong and determined in my own life that I can say I give that much of myself.  I hope I do. 

 So, being there is good, but not being there is good too. I saw the game from a different perspective yesterday, and sad that I couldn't be there to lend my support,  I was still able to enjoy the game, picture in my head how hard T played, as well as her teammates, and I learned it's the next best thing to being there. I had to visualize the game in my head, and I didn't get so tensed up over the crappy calls from the ref's and I didn't leave the game mad. I get mad too when the ref's give my girls a hard time, and don't call fairly for both sides. So yes, my frustration does get the best of me sometimes. But it was good that I could learn from that all the way from home. 

 I do pray that next year, I might be able to sit along side the court and not get so hyped up... but that is asking for a miracle.. cause her mates like to hear me yell. lol.  It's my way of letting T know, I am there for her, not only in body.  But maybe there is still some room for improvement on my part. I can only try. :) 

 Until next year T, and until you give up... I support you in whatever you do. I love you so much... and have enjoyed being and will continue to be your aunt G. 

 I am also thankful for my sister, who gave birth to two beautiful and wonderful girls, for my mom, who raised us to be there for each other, and for my step dad aka gramps, who is always there for all of us each day of our lives. 

 I hope that in the years to come I am able to enjoy my family, and be a blessing to them as well.. until next time... Blessings, and Go Lady Redhawks. Yea!!

No comments: